Monday 16 May 2011

PLAY PLAY ! ALL THE WAY!

Came across this BEAUTIFUL poem penned by a teacher who works with children with special needs. Talks about how parents in India give more importance to 'proper studies' than playing. Set me thinking, haven't we figured out the ways of this humongous world just by playing our way through it in our earlier years? Then why do we stop playing once we are 'big'?

Playing is no child's play, is what i think. We need to 'play' in our daily lives too. Start by putting in much more joy in everything we do. Play together, work together, as a team. Accept challenges. Encourage others around us in their low times. Take every loss as a lesson, analyse wins to learn what works. Playing teaches SO much!
The poem couldn't be more expressive about this sentiment. Read on!


 
Building castles out of blocks
I dream of shape and form
I wonder about balance
And how a house is born.
I stack the blocks so carefully
I keep myself quite still
I’m learning how each piece behaves
And how a space is filled.

I’m going to be an architect.
And you think I’m just playing?


Wearing Mama’s high-heeled shoes
I stand up tall and straight
I pack my briefcase on my own
And kiss the kids – I’m late!
I know they want to tag along
But Mama has to work
I’m off to court to try a case
I’m wearing Mama’s skirt.

I’m going to be a lawyer.
And you think I’m just playing?


This picture that I’m working on
Was going to be a tree
But on the way, another thought
Seemed just as good to me –
A tree of stars, each branch alight
Demanded to be drawn -
The vision from inside my heart
Appeared here on its own.

I’m going to be an artist.
And you think I’m just playing?


My students sit in tidy rows
And wait for me to speak.
Well, three are dolls, and one’s a cat
Who thinks I’m speaking Greek.
He won’t sit still or do his work
He doesn’t like to read –
For him I’ve got an IEP:
He’s got ADHD.

I’m going to be a teacher.
And you think I’m just playing?

 
This hole goes clear to Africa
Straight down, clean and bright
I’ve got my shovel and some forks
I’m sure my map is right.
I’ve been working here since morning
You can help me if you wish
But don’t disturb the little elves
They’ve just come off their shift.

I’m going to be an explorer.
And you think I’m just playing?


I’m busy with this puzzle
I have to fit this piece
The one that seems to have no home
No matter how I squeeze.
It seems some rules are absolute
Like square pegs and round holes
I’m learning how to work it out
I’m focused on my goals.

I’m going to be a problem-solver.
And you think I’m just playing?


Ask me what I did today –
The answer’s always “Played.”
At school, at home and on the bus –
My mind’s just built that way.
I’m a child and play’s my job
It’s what I’m meant to do –
It’s how I learn about the world
And grow to be like you!

I’m going to be a grownup.
And you think I’m just playing?





Watcha waitin fo' ? GO PLAY!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment