Sunday 10 April 2011

Cricket : The neo-Indian God

Till last year, I had no idea what overs, wickets and spin-attacks meant.
Until I went to an IPL match with some friends (who were aware of my ignorance) and explained to me in detail (bless them!) the game, as it is.

Point in case: I cannot be called a cricket fan.

But strangely enough, as the World Cup progressed, as did conversations and newspapers, I began to watch and take note. And when the final match against Sri Lanka came around, I watched every minute of it, glued to the screen like never before and went to sleep suitably late and thrilled!

Perhaps I did not want to be left out of conversations.
Perhaps I wanted to see for myself what the fuss was all about.
Perhaps a faint spark of interest had been ignited.
Perhaps...

This is what a World Cup triumph does: it creates new fans.
Not for me. My interest in the tournament lasted only that long.

But I doubt that is the case for thousands of others in this country, where cricket precedes even God.

No comments:

Post a Comment